Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I is for Individual, February 15

Individual. A word to remind me that each of my students comes with a unique story, upbringing, past, and personality. Each student is their own unique person created by God. Each student learns in their individual way, each student thinks in their individual way, each student works in their individual way.
While at West Side I will need to write "Individual Student Profiles" for each of my students. Since I see about different students in 1 day, I will only write Profiles for the students in my homeroom. I see these students twice a day, once for Bible, once for Math. My profiles will not be as detailed in comparison to other student teacher's since I see the students for a limited amount of time. I will however have to do a write up on each of them. Getting to know the students inside and outside of class gives helps me to make sense of who they are and how they think, listen, learn, and work. This process of getting to know the students can be overwhelming and never ending. However, I have a feeling that if I had my own classroom this process would be a bit easier. For now I have to try to 'catch-up' on the first semester happenings of the students as well as the last 7+ years.
Individuality is important and it makes us who we are, but learning to make sense of each of our students in a way that allows us to teach them all best is a somewhat laborious task.

No comments:

Post a Comment