Sunday, February 27, 2011

G is for Grading - Friday, February 11

I apologize that the following posts are WAY behind, but Student Teaching has become busy to say the least.


Grading is certainly a task of a teacher. I got to do some grading while at my teacher aiding placement, but now it seems more of the real deal as I am planning the assignments the students must complete. I have done a bit of grading here at there for my teacher during my first 2 weeks, but now that I have begun to teach I will have my 'own' assignments to grade.
Grades are often a thing that educators talk about as being both good and bad. I think it can be especially hard to grade things for math. Although there is generally a right or wrong answer when it comes to math, often it is beneficial to give grades for effort. For example, a student could do poorly on an assignment, but they could do poorly for making the same mistake over and over again. This is more likely to happen in math than in other subjects. For this reason I think it is especially important to give effort grades in Math.

More thoughts on grading to come  later I am sure. For now I only have a few things here and there, but as I begin to pick up more classes I might not be looking forward to it each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment